Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Grief SOS --

My husband sent me a link http://www.griefsos.com/ that has some very helpful information about brain chemistry and grief.  There are things that can be done to help with the grief process - to help brain chemistry in relation to the grief process.  


The site is done by K Paul Stoller MD whose son Galen died suddenly and unexpectedly when he was hit by a train.  Dr Stoller had worked with brain injured children and children with other brain difficulties like cerebral palsy and autism.  Here are a couple of paragraphs from his site to give you an idea of what he has to share.  I think you will find it helpful. 


I am a board certified pediatrician and board certified in hyperbaric medicine. I have been helping brain injured children, such as those with cerebral palsy, autism, traumatic brain injury, and fetal alcohol syndrome, regain significant brain function. In my years of providing assistance, using hyperbaric oxygen, I have observed how the chemistry of the brain affects mood, behavior, and coping skills.
It took me a full month to realize that I had knowledge of something that could be used to, and that I know does, provide assistance to the grieving brain. I have been using the hormone oxytocin, via nasal spray, to help children with brain injury - especially autistic children - cope and feel comfortable during the process of healing. I tried it on myself just as soon as I had this epiphany and found that it provided a sense of emotional equanimity. It allowed my mind and body a level of relief that permitted my emotional and mental processes to flow without the constant obsessive chatter, anxiety, and even panic that accompanies intense acute grieving. The panic and vicious circle of distressful thoughts no longer could stick and fester in my conscious mind (unless I wanted them to be there) – I was given a new sense of emotional freedom.

 Dr. Stoller also talks about how helpful flower essences were to his healing and helping him through the grief process.  He said they probably saved his life.  Two more paragraphs from his site -- 



In the weeks before I discovered the effects of oxytocin on grief, I was fortunate to have been provided with several flower essences that probably saved my life:
Contact www.FlorAlive.com (931- 593-2300) and ask for a combination of three flowers to be sent to you as soon as possible: Healing Heart, Heart Mend, and Flor del Oso. The FlorAlive website has full instructions on how to take these subtle but powerful remedies and I support the method used by FlorAlive;
I also found another flower, sold by the Flower Essence Society (www.flowersociety.org), Love-Lies-Bleeding (Amaranthus), to be very helpful.

Blessings to all of us who are working our way through the grief process -- may we find healing in the many modalities that are out there, through the spirit and through each other. 


Love,
Elizabeth

2 comments:

  1. This is VERY helpful. I can't wait to get my hands on some or all of these floral essences he mentions. For the 1st time...something we can actually do or take, aside from anti-depressants, which themselves, cause other losses. Thank you for this!!
    Love You,
    Shar

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have used flower essences and they are amazing. After Jesse died I used essential oils on my family. It was very helpful. One of my favorites that I used with my family was Peace and Calming.

    It is good to know that there is help outside of prescription drugs, more natural things.

    I'm so glad you have found this information helpful.

    Love you too :)
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete